Theme Settings

Mode Layout
Theme color
Choose your colors
Background Color:


List of products by brand Zograf

Zographou Monastery


Zographou monastery is located in the northwest of Mt. Athos, on a wooded hillside about an hour walk away from the coast.  It was founded in the early 10th century.  Three brothers from the Bulgarian Achrida were the monastery's founders. Legend has it that having built a rather small church, the brothers couldn't decide to whom it should be dedicated and whose icon to paint on a prepared board.  They prayed to God fervently and the Lord answered their prayer.  

As they entered the church, they were astounded to see the image of St. George on the board.  Beyond themselves with happiness, they have dedicated the monastery to St. George. Owing to the miraculous icon, the monastery was named "Zographou", i.e.  "the painter".

The monastery flourished and expanded fast, but not for long.  It was brought to ruins due to pirate raids and Crusaders' invasions. 

In the early 16th century, the Moldavian duke Stephen reconstructed and expanded the monastery.   Zographou was reconstructed in the 18th century. 

The catholicon is dedicated to St. George (the holiday is celebrated on May 6th, according to the Gregorian calendar). 

The temple holds three miraculous icons of St. George: the first - named "Zographou", the second - originating from Saudi Arabia, the third - a gift from the Moldavian duke Stephen VI.  Among the treasures are also the wonder-working icon of Our Lady, pieces of the True Cross and relics of:  St. Stephen, Ignatius of Antioch, Antipas, Charalampus, Nicetas, Nestor, Cyriacus, apostle Andrew the First-called, the Patriarch Eutychius of Constantinople etc.  

There are 10 more chapels in the monastery.  A memorial stands in the courtyard, built in the place of the tower where 26 martyrs burned to death during the Crusades on October 10th, 1276.

The library contains many Greek and Slavic manuscripts and books.

The wonder-working icons of this monastery include Our Lady of the Akathistos, Our Lady Epakousa and St. George. 
Since 1574 until the present day, the monastery has occupied the 9th place in the Mt. Athos hierarchy.
Idiorrhythmicity was adopted in 1840, under the order of Patriarch Anthimus IV.
Until recently, the monastery was occupied by as little as 12 monks.
In the meantime, the number grew to more than 20, as the Bulgarian administration became considerably more concerned about the monastery's wellbeing.
The icon of Our Lady Epakousa is placed on the catholicon's altar.  Legend has it that when monk Cosmas asked her how to find salvation, she answered that he should leave the monastery and fight on his own.


Sorry for the inconvenience.

Search again what you are looking for